Cave Dwellers

1 Samuel 22:1-2.

“David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam; and when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him. And every one who was in distress, and every one who was in debt, and every one, who was discontented, gathered to him; and he became captain over them. And there were with him about four hundred men.”

These 400 cave dwellers became the mightiest men in Israel’s history. While at first they joined David in the cave wounded, hurt, abandoned and rejected, they left with a whole new perspective. David and his mighty men found training and discipline inside. The process was difficult, and often lonely. But God raised them up to unite the whole nation of Israel, and to become a world power in military and trade. Only God can take a place that is cold, dark and damp and turn it into a sanctuary, a cave of healing. Only God can take a wounded soul and make it beautiful.

Several years ago, God told me He was going to restore my innocence. He also said that I was going to grow in my relationship and intimacy with Him. But in order for that to happen, I needed to step inside the cave. This is the training for those that want to step into the cave of healing. It is for those that have experienced hurt. It is for those that have been abandoned, rejected and abused. God has an awesome plan for you. He wants to heal you. I believe that He is good and faithful and will do what He says.
Dynamic Tension in the “Faith Factor”

It is important before we jump in to remember WHO does the healing. God heals. It is HIS heart. It is HIS plan. You simply need to believe and receive His Word. But you may be saying to yourself, “I want to believe, but I am struggling here! I have tried so many times before and I have continued to fail. God, where are you?” In my personal experience, I have found that the harder I try to overcome, the harder I seem to fall. This has caused me to feel more ashamed and discouraged. When I try, I fail. It makes me want to throw my hands up and scream, “I give up!” The truth is, it’s okay to be in that place. It’s a good starting point. For me, it’s the realization that I need to place my faith in something or someone greater than myself. That someone is GOD. God is calling you into the darkness of your cave with a solution. He confidently declares, “I AM the way, the truth, and the life. You can trust me. There is no other way to be healed. Come to me. Place your faith in me.”

I call this the “Faith Factor”. As you walk through this process, keep bringing yourself back to a place of faith. Say this to yourself right now…

“On my own, I have never been able to overcome.
God is the Overcomer! I am not!
But with Him, I will overcome!”

I asked a group of leaders an important question, “Where does God place His faith?” Someone immediately answered, “In us?” That belief can have a devastating effect on us. It can also devastate God. I alone would have driven Him to a faithless state. But God places His faith in the same place He wants us to place ours; in Himself. He alone is trustworthy. Everyone and everything else will let you down.

God places His faith in Himself. He demonstrated that faith, by becoming one of us. He became flesh through His Son, Jesus. The Bible says that Jesus could do nothing apart from God. Jesus placed His life completely in God’s Hands, even unto the point of death. Therefore, God’s faith was solely upon Himself. It is mind boggling to understand, but critical to grasp a hold of.

The Old Testament shows us what happens when people try to impress God with their own ability. Their attempts were always a complete failure. The same is true for us today. We will always fall short. But the New Testament gives us the complete picture of God’s plan. When God looks at us, He sees Jesus. It is through faith in His Son that His plan can be fulfilled in our lives. It is only through Jesus that we are healed.

Say this to yourself OUT LOUD!

My faith is placed where God places His faith.
You see, on my own I can’t do what is right!
On my own I can’t fix what is wrong!
On my own I can’t find what is missing!
I need to depend on God and God alone!
I place my faith in His Hands.
God places His faith in His own Hands.
What He has spoken – comes about.
It is His job, I allow Him to do what He says He will do.
I don’t work harder or try harder. I depend on Him!
When I am struggling – I depend on Him.
When I have messed up - I depend on Him.
My faith doesn’t measure up, but His faith in me moves mountains.
Amen, Amen and Amen!

No comments: