Consuming vs. Creating Church

"Is there anyone here who has seen Jesus?"

"Can you lead me to Him? I need Him today..."

The most shocking indictment brought against the Church today is that so few of us can answer these questions.

It is not our right to bring such an indictment. We are neither judge nor jury - but rather a community already exhonerated of every sin.

Yet the indictment stands, as Jesus will one day declare to some of us, "Depart from me, for I have never known you." (Matthew 25)

My heart breaks over the Western post-modern church. We are guilty of synchrotism: our culture is addicted to entertainment and we have followed suit, aligning our major resources to recruit and entertain consumers, rather than trusting new leaders. Like Ephesus in Revelations 2, we have lost our first love.

My concern starts and ends with me. How would I answer these questions? Have I seen Jesus? Has He ownership - such capture - of me that I could, without hesitation or blush, lead others right into the presence of the resurrected Christ - that they can experience His resurrecting power?

I'm not into movements. This is neither message nor platform. This is the painful cry from a beautiful Bride, self-trapped by accepting her addictive environment, convinced that she's lost the trust and respect of her Bridegroom.

It is the treason of distance vs. the transparency of intimacy.

The gates of Hell will not prevail against the spotless Bride of the Church. Meanwhile, her affection is the balance on which hang her own life and health.

The greatest service I will ever do for those around me is to stay near the heart of God.

Would I rather be entertained, or led to the feet of the risen King of Love?

Am I consuming, or creating, the Church experience?

Acts 4:13

No comments: